Sign in to follow this  
Gotchu

[GUIDE] Recording Demo / Screenshot

17 posts in this topic

I came to to realize lot of people including our regulars, who should support the community on catching hackers, do not know how to record a demo, thus all they can do is helplessly call for admin or wait for any to come online.

Start, Stop & Watch

To start recording a demo, simply open up a console and type in "record titleofyourdemo".

Make sure you are IN game. The moment you press enter, it will begin recording what you are seeing.

To stop recording a demo, type "stop" in console.

Will only work when the "record" commend is running.

To view any demo, in console type in either "viewdemo" or "playdemo"

Cs must be running and this commend should only work in console. You are not needed to run a server or be in server to do this.

Note

1. If map changes or round is restarted (sv_retart, meaning NOT the server restart but the round itself), the demo is still recording. HOWEVER, because Virs server goes under client reconnecting to server, the demo will be stopped and you are to type in "record demoname" to record again.

2. If you do not do "stop" in console to stop the demo, there will be a high chance of your demo being corrupted.

Uncorrupted demo:

Allows anyone to "viewdemo" the demo and simply fastforward to wherever the viewer please to. This also allows the viewer to hear people's voice perfectly fine.

Corrupted demo:

When a viewer types in "viewdemo", the demo will not start or will be shorten. 30 minutes recording will only show the first 3-5 seconds or even only a minute. The voices of other players in the recording would be uncoded, will be played in weird sound.

The view corrupted demo, you are only left with "playdemo" command, which only plays demo without the user to have access to forward backward options.

All recorded demos are located in your cstrike folder:

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\username\counter strike\cstrike\

Advice

After recording demo, even if you forget to "stop", viewdemo the recorded demo as soon as possible for this could help improve your demo from becoming corrupted.

To organize demo, name your demos so you can track them.

i.e.

Demo 1

Demo 2

Demo 3

or

Dec-31-09

Jan-21-10

Jan-25-10

Have a notepad just for these demos, preferrably located in your cstrike folder with demos, named "Demo Info" or w/e you want it to be.

This notepad is to keep notes of what each demos are for.

i.e.

Demo 1 - On 2-5, dust2, Dan with 3 frags.

Demo 2 - On 12-17, militia, Vir is hacking.

Demo 3 - On 1-0, office, Funny. // 2-6, Mush failing.

==============================================

How to Take Screenshot

F5 is your DEFAULT button for screenshot, however you can always bind it to any key you desire.

bind "key" "snapshot"

will allow any of your key to become the screenshot button for CS.

(Obviously replace the "key" with any key you prefer..

i.e. "F5" or "K" or "INS" (insert key).

Your screenshot works exactly like the screenshot for Windows.

The only difference is the saving method.

In most windows, when you take screenshot, you need to paste it somewhere asap before copying anything else. For CS, it will be auto saved onto your Cstrike folder.

Please make a use of yourself and make an account instead of asking people where to upload without registering.

These websites WILL be useful throughout your life.

How to Upload demos, videos and images.

For videos, we all know we got youtube available for us.

For images, imageshack.us, I believe you do not require registering account here.

All you need to do is "Browse" and select your image, than upload. After uploading it will give you the code, either direct or IMG code. Direct is a direct link towards the image, where if a user clicks on it, it will open a new windows for the image to display. The IMG code is for forums and such. e <-

It will automatically display the image on forum without anyone having to click.

another good website for images is photobucket.com which requires you to register your account but personally I find it good because I can always look back on the images I have uploaded.

For demos,

mediafire.com

yousendit.com

either one works best.

Both do not require registering

Mediafire is a trustful professional uploading website, which the only negative thing about is, if you are not a premium member, it requires the downloaders to wait 25~45 seconds before downloading.

Yousendit.com will upload the file and instantly provide you with a link to give it out to people, and allow them to download without any delay. The only negative thing about this website is, the download link will only be valid for 7 days, afterwards the link will be broken.

Thanks,

Dan.

I came to to realize lot of people including our regulars, who should support the community on catching hackers, do not know how to record a demo, thus all they can do is helplessly call for admin or wait for any to come online.

Start, Stop & Watch

To start recording a demo, simply open up a console and type in "record titleofyourdemo".

Make sure you are IN game. The moment you press enter, it will begin recording what you are seeing.

To stop recording a demo, type "stop" in console.

Will only work when the "record" commend is running.

To view any demo, in console type in either "viewdemo" or "playdemo"

Cs must be running and this commend should only work in console. You are not needed to run a server or be in server to do this.

Note

1. If map changes or round is restarted (sv_retart, meaning NOT the server restart but the round itself), the demo is still recording. HOWEVER, because Virs server goes under client reconnecting to server, the demo will be stopped and you are to type in "record demoname" to record again.

2. If you do not do "stop" in console to stop the demo, there will be a high chance of your demo being corrupted.

Uncorrupted demo:

Allows anyone to "viewdemo" the demo and simply fastforward to wherever the viewer please to. This also allows the viewer to hear people's voice perfectly fine.

Corrupted demo:

When a viewer types in "viewdemo", the demo will not start or will be shorten. 30 minutes recording will only show the first 3-5 seconds or even only a minute. The voices of other players in the recording would be uncoded, will be played in weird sound.

The view corrupted demo, you are only left with "playdemo" command, which only plays demo without the user to have access to forward backward options.

All recorded demos are located in your cstrike folder:

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\username\counter strike\cstrike\

Advice

After recording demo, even if you forget to "stop", viewdemo the recorded demo as soon as possible for this could help improve your demo from becoming corrupted.

To organize demo, name your demos so you can track them.

i.e.

Demo 1

Demo 2

Demo 3

or

Dec-31-09

Jan-21-10

Jan-25-10

Have a notepad just for these demos, preferrably located in your cstrike folder with demos, named "Demo Info" or w/e you want it to be.

This notepad is to keep notes of what each demos are for.

i.e.

Demo 1 - On 2-5, dust2, Dan with 3 frags.

Demo 2 - On 12-17, militia, Vir is hacking.

Demo 3 - On 1-0, office, Funny. // 2-6, Mush failing.

How to Take Screenshot

F5 is your DEFAULT button for screenshot, however you can always bind it to any key you desire.

bind "key" "snapshot"

will allow any of your key to become the screenshot button for CS.

(Obviously replace the "key" with any key you prefer..

i.e. "F5" or "K" or "INS" (insert key).

Your screenshot works exactly like the screenshot for Windows.

The only difference is the saving method.

In most windows, when you take screenshot, you need to paste it somewhere asap before copying anything else. For CS, it will be auto saved onto your Cstrike folder.

Please make a use of yourself and make an account instead of asking people where to upload without registering.

These websites WILL be useful throughout your life.

How to Upload demos, videos and images.

For videos, we all know we got youtube available for us.

For images, imageshack.us, I believe you do not require registering account here.

All you need to do is "Browse" and select your image, than upload. After uploading it will give you the code, either direct or IMG code. Direct is a direct link towards the image, where if a user clicks on it, it will open a new windows for the image to display. The IMG code is for forums and such. e <-

It will automatically display the image on forum without anyone having to click.

another good website for images is photobucket.com which requires you to register your account but personally I find it good because I can always look back on the images I have uploaded.

For demos,

mediafire.com

yousendit.com

either one works best.

Both do not require registering

Mediafire is a trustful professional uploading website, which the only negative thing about is, if you are not a premium member, it requires the downloaders to wait 25~45 seconds before downloading.

Yousendit.com will upload the file and instantly provide you with a link to give it out to people, and allow them to download without any delay. The only negative thing about this website is, the download link will only be valid for 7 days, afterwards the link will be broken.

Thanks,

Dan.

megaupload.com...

Lol edit ur guides fruitcake!

but i guess some noobs wud find this helpful

megaupload.com...

Lol edit ur guides fruitcake!

but i guess some noobs wud find this helpful